Getting Started... (again)

I don't know how many times I have started new blogs, or gone back to old blogs with the promise to become active with my posts again. Most recently (before this one), I have been posting on a WordPress blog of the same name. For a while, I was doing pretty well and posting at least once a month, but then I moved apartments and spent several months without internet. Then I was just really busy and not organized enough to put time or energy into posting. Recently I missed having a creative outlet that doesn't involve beating up my body or choreographing (I do love choreographing, but when working on 15+ dances at a time: breaks are needed!!), but when I went to look at what my previous posts had been, I noticed just how many awful advertisements were floating all over my blog. While I would't mind paying a little to remove ads, I need to make sure I can actually commit to writing frequently enough to make it worthwhile. So for now I decided to use this space. I may return to WordPress eventually since there is a lot I do like about it, but who knows?

Anyway, I suppose I should write a little something about myself, and what this blog will be about, since this is the post that is getting things rolling again. You can probably tell by the title and logo that this has something to do with ballet. I liked the name Ballerina Strength because it goes with my personal journey (and is relatable to pretty much anyone else who has experienced this brutal career)... So starting from the beginning: I began dancing at 5 years old and it was all very recreational until I was about 13 or so and decided that ballet is what I loved more than anything and that I wanted to be a professional dancer. I had some difficult times in my teens as I worked with this concept and tried to figure out where to go with it (maybe more on that in future posts). I was very lucky to have found some excellent teachers by accident during my teens and was able to get into a college dance program. From there I was able to grow, polish my technique, and expand my creative horizons. After that, it was a lot of trial and error attending professional auditions. Lots of rejection... Then danced with a company that was an awful fit for me that almost killed my love of the art. Being burnt out was a tough time. I was physically ill all the time and injured all the time. But I got through that and after some time off from dance, I have found a new company that is a much better fit. I still feel like it is an uphill battle at times since I had an awful ankle sprain at the beginning of my first season of my current company. Various little injuries and things keep showing up (I write as I ice my Achilles tendon...), but I have learned some fierce persistence over time. Dancers not only have to be physically strong, but also strong willed.

So this blog is about my personal struggles with this lovely and intense art form. I will be writing my experiences since it is really quite therapeutic for me, but also sharing some other things I really enjoy that relate to ballet. Fitness for example: Stretching, cross training, etc. Also, fashion, because I love adding to my leotard collection, but I also cherish the moments I get to wear "real people" clothes. I love makeup (for both on and off the stage). I also enjoy drawing on the rare occasions I actually have time to. I especially like drawing ballerinas and designing tutus and tiaras.

Well, that is probably enough rambling on for now. I will begin to slowly update the pages and continue to set this site up. Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you visit again soon!
Hugs,


Comments

Popular Posts